Educational Background: Mr. Arup ratan Nandi has completed his Higher Secondary
(Science) from Belur Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandira, Belur, West Bengal in 2001.
He has completed B.Sc. in Physics (Honors) from Chandernagore Govt. College of the
University of Burdwan, West Bengal in 2005. He has completed M.Sc. in Physics (with
specialization in experimental solid state physics) from Delhi University, Delhi in 2007.
He has completed Post M.Sc. Diploma in Radiological Physics from Bhabha Atomic
Research Center (BARC), Mumbai in 2008.
1. Started working as Medical Physicist at Department of Radiotherapy, Advanced
Medical Research Institute, Dhakuria , Kolkata in 2008.
2. Joined as Physicist cum Radiation Safety Officer at Dept. of Radiotherapy, Burdwan
Medical College and Hospital, West Bengal in 2009 and still working.
Roles & responsibilities: Presently he handles the responsibilities of Senior
Medical Physicist as well as nominated Radiation Safety Officer (Level - III) to
Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), Dept. of Atomic Energy (DAE), Govt. of
India, for the Department of Radiotherapy. He carries out the routine radiation
treatment planning for the cancer patients in both the Tele-therapy and
Brachytherapy Machines. He also handles the responsibilities of teaching theory
and experiments in Medical Physics, Radiological Physics, Detector Physics,
Clinical and Diagnostic Radiation Physics, Radio-Biology and Radiation Safety to
Medical students (Radiation Oncology MD PGT) as well as paramedical students
(Diploma in Radiotherapy, Diploma in Radio-diagnosis). He also assists in clinical
radiation physics research project of MD PG students of the department. He
handles the role of State Medical Faculty Examiner for both the theory and viva
examinations of paramedical students (Diploma in Radiotherapy, Diploma in Radio
diagnosis).He advices the Employer (Head of the Institute) in communication with
AERB through e-LORA website regarding the Rule and Regulations for several
applications, approvals and permissions to run the department of Radiotherapy
smoothly. He ensures radiation safety to occupational radiation workers as well as
general public for the Dept. of Radiotherapy by proper radiation monitoring and
survey of personnel, installation and the surrounding area.
1. Tata Memorial Hospital (Mumbai) Radiation Oncology/Therapy Training.
2. Nuclear Medicine Training at Radiation Medicine Centre (RMC) Mumbai.
3. External field training for 40 days in Advanced Medical & Research Institute
(AMRI - Dhakuria) in KOLKATA at Radiation Oncology Department .
4. Clinical training program on HDR Brachytherapy at R.G.Kar Medical College,
Kolkata by Eckert and Zeigler BEBIG.
5. 1 st College of Medical Physics of India (CMPI) refresher training course at
1. Certified Medical Physicist/Radiological Safety Officer (RSO Level - III) in
Medicine, Industry and Research by Radiological Physics & Advisory Division,
BARC, Govt. of India.
2. Teaching course on “QA, Advanced Dosimetry, Treatment Planning and
Verification for External Beam Therapy” at Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, Kolkata
by College of Medical Physics of India (CMPI).
3. TrueBeam Platform Physics & Administration by Varian Medical Systems
Research Project Presented:
1. Production and Detection of Oniums (Upsilon and Jepsi – High Energy particles)
in HADRON Calorimeter of Proton – Proton Collider (CERN). Simulation of Fast
Monte Carlo Transport Code in PYTHIA event generator to increase detection
efficiency in HCAL at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai during
visiting summer research program 2006.
2. Comparison between Forward and Inverse IMRT Technique at RP & AD, BARC,
3. Presented a paper at National Conference of Frontiers of Physics (NCFP 2017)
“CONTRIBUTION OF HIGH-ENERGY NEUTRINO ASTRONOMY IN BASIC
PARTICLE PHYSICS” at The University of Burdwan.
Conference/ Symposium & Workshops:
Organized: 5 th Bi-annual Conference of Association of Medical Physicist of India (AMPI
Eastern Chapter) under the banner of Burdwan Medical College & Hospital as
Organizing Secretary on January 2018.
1. 34 th Annual conference of AMPI, 2013.
2. Elekta Symposium on “Latest trends in Hypo-fractioned treatment delivery in RT”,
3. Novalis Circle Symposium 2017, Gurgaon, India
4. Brachytherapy Workshop by AMPI (EC) & IBS, Kolkata Medical College,2017
5. 17 th Asia Oceanic Congress of Medical Physics & 38 th Annual conference of
AMPI, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 2017
6. AMPI Seminar cum Workshop on Image Guided Radiotherapy: “Clinical
Implementation and Verification” at Kolkata, 2019.
1. Successful installation and commissioning of new HDR Cobalt Brachytherapy.
(2 nd of its kind in eastern India)
2. Successful dosimetry experiment for IAEA/WHO TLD postal dose audit which
gained certificate of appreciation for negligible deviation.
3. Successful 3 rd radioactive source change operation for 20 years old Tele-Cobalt
4. Achieved approvals from AERB for room layout plans and site plans (Two Linear
Accelerators, One CT-Simulator and One HDR-Brachytherapy installation) under
Tertiary Cancer Care Center Program.
5. Elected executive member of Association of Medical Physicist of India (Eastern
Experience as a Staff